Wood & Co, Marr & Co and Logan & Co
Pianoforte Makers, Music Sellers and Publishers
This article stems from research carried out during the update of Roderick Cannon’s A Bibliography of Bagpipe Music. 
Establishing the publication date of many books is not easy and Cannon sums up the difficulties he had in the following words:
A music book rarely tells much of its own history. Many of the books described here are undated; most have little if any prefatory text and some are anonymous.
Worse still, some of them actually give wrong information, dates and other matter having simply been copied without change from some earlier edition of the same book. For dates we have then to rely on many pieces of evidence – publishers’ names and addresses as compared with those in street directories, trade directories and the like (even telephone directories in some cases); price lists and publishers’ catalogues; dates of events commemorated in tune titles; owners’ signatures and library accession dates; names and Army ranks of composers, and so on – details scarcely significant in themselves, but, together, often enough to fix a date within a year or two.
Curiously enough it is sometimes easier to date an old book than a more recent one, and of all sources of information I have to say that in general the publishers themselves are the least reliable. More than once, I have enquired of a publisher only to be told that he simply cannot remember when a particular work was first put on sale. 
The three firms in this article started out as pianoforte makers and tuners when the demand for this new instrument escalated in Scotland. Prior to the 18th century there were a number of stringed keyboard instruments, but they lacked volume and had little, or no, expressive control.
In about 1700 Bartolomeo Cristofori (1655–1731) of Padua, Italy, designed an instrument that increased the volume and enabled the player to provide more musical expression. This was achieved through a better keyboard-and-hammer mechanism and, although not as loud as modern instruments, was considered the first pianoforte. 
By the end of the 18th century improvements had been made and the instrument was becoming very popular in private homes throughout Europe. In Scotland the post office and trade directories show numerous firms were appearing to satisfy the demand.
The early wooden-framed instruments were prone to warping and breakages thus requiring frequent maintenance and tuning. The piano-making firms employed a number of tuners, and some advertised in local newspapers showing they moved around Scotland on a regular basis to provide their services.
A number of pianos entered the market made by ‘garret makers’ (workers in garrets) who produced inferior instruments made of green timber in flash looking cases with forged maker’s names attached. 
The pianos from the mainstream manufacturers needed regular maintenance but the cheaper varieties required much more.
The iron-framed pianos first appeared in the 1840s but were extremely expensive, compelling the average owner to remain with the wooden-framed instruments. By the end of the 19th century and into the 20th century these new pianos became more accessible, reducing the demand for repairs, replacement and tuning.
As a result of this downturn many firms closed down, merged with other companies or moved into music publishing. The First World War also had devastating effects on these businesses, and some did not survive.
WOOD & CO, MARR & CO and LOGAN & CO all went through difficult times and WOOD & CO merged with MARR & CO in the late 19th century to become J MARR WOOD & CO.
In 1904 LOGAN & CO also experienced financial difficulties but they managed to resume trading with a new name, LOGAN & CO (INVERNESS) LTD.
A number of firms struggled during World War One and in Inverness J MARR WOOD & CO amalgamated with LOGAN & CO to become LOGAN & J MARR WOOD LTD.
WOOD & CO and MARR & CO were music publishers but did not get involved in bagpipe music publishing until after they amalgamated with LOGAN & CO in 1916 or 1917. LOGAN & CO had a brief tenure of about 50 years in the music publishing business and from the 1880s published a number of bagpipe music books.
The three companies traded in many Scottish cities and towns during the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries and were essentially family firms. There appears to have been family members who branched out forming their own companies, but no attempt will be made to discuss them in detail.
Although the information contained herein is intended primarily for identifying bagpipe music books, it can be used by those researching other publications emanating from the three companies. There may be others who have an interest in the broader history of Scottish publishing who might also find items of interest.
Most of the information contained in this article is from post office directories unless otherwise stated. Many towns and cities in Scotland have directories, some dating back to the 18th century and a significant number are available online. 
One important aspect in interpreting the directories is to understand how and when they were published. From the 18th century a number of publishers produced directories and they usually appeared in late May or early June of any year. Some specified that the information intended for inclusion had to be with the publishers at least two months before the intended publication date. Therefore, if any change is included for the first time in any specific year, that change could have occurred as early as April the preceding year, and as late as April in the year of publication.
Many of the referenced documents are available online but are by no means complete. The Scottish post office directories up to 1912 are the only ones currently available to those living outside United Kingdom. A few directories from England and Wales are also available on a number of websites but there are many gaps.
A large collection of British newspapers are also available via the Internet  and are being updated on a regular basis. Once one has subscribed to their website frequent emails are sent out advising of recent additions.
In this article, any reference to a bagpipe music book followed by a number, i.e., Logan’s Tutor (No 332), refers to the number used in Cannon’s Bibliography.
Allan Cameron of Auckland, New Zealand, for proof reading and advice; Jeannie Campbell, Glasgow, Scotland, for providing information gathered during her research; Roderick Cannon, Norwich, England, for providing information gathered during his research; Terry Carroll of Papakura, New Zealand, for his assistance in deciphering historical legal documents referred to in this article; Keith Sanger, Edinburgh, Scotland, for his assistance in locating historical documents; and Barnaby Brown and J David Hester, PhD for publishing many items on the website bibliography.altpibroch.com.
WOOD & CO
An advertisement from the late 1860s  states WOOD & CO was established in 1790, but none of the Edinburgh directories from around that time lists any firm that can be connected to them. It was not until 1797-98 that John Muir, music seller, 16 George Street, Edinburgh, first appeared and the following year became MUIR, WOOD & CO, musical instrument makers to His Majesty, 16 George Street South Side.
In 1803 MUIR, WOOD & CO moved to 7 Leith Street, South Side , and in 1804-05 Andrew Wood, musical instrument maker, 8 Leith Street, is listed for the first time. Although the company had a number of name changes as personnel came and went, the Wood name was retained until the company closed down in 1923. In 1803 they published edition 5 of A Collection of Highland Vocal Airs (No 301) by Patrick MacDonald  and also An Introduction to Music by Anne Gunn. 
In 1812-13 MUIR, WOOD & CO moved to 13 Leith Street and Andrew Wood’s home address is now Rosebank. After the death of John Muir in 1818 George Small, who had been an employee since 1804 , became a partner and the company name changed to WOOD, SMALL & CO, musical instrument makers to His Majesty. WOOD, SMALL & CO also had business interests in Brazil. 
John Muir owned substantial property in Edinburgh and after he died it was disposed of in public auction.  In 1822-23 Andrew Wood moved to Deanbank, WOOD, SMALL & CO moved their workshop to Amphion Place, Caltonhill, and in the following year George Small moved to 40 Frederick Street. Andrew Wood disappeared from the directory in 1823-24 and Alex Wood is listed for the first time as ‘of WOOD, SMALL & CO’, living at Deanbank, Stockbridge. Alex Wood may be a misprint for Andrew, particularly as Alex lasted only two years in the directory and they both had the same home address.
In the early 1820s Andrew’s son Robert Wood (1797-1871) joined the business as a pianoforte maker. He disappeared in 1825-26 only to return in 1830-31 at 2 Salisbury Square. At some time between 1822 and 1830, whilst they were at 12 Waterloo Place, WOOD, SMALL & CO published edition 6 of A Collection of Highland Vocal Airs by Patrick MacDonald. 
In 1829 Andrew died and George Small left the firm and set up SMALL, BRUCE & CO, organ builders and music sellers, 54 Princes Street. At the same time the firm’s name changed to WOOD & CO and three of Andrew’s sons took over the business; Robert, John Muir Wood (1905-83) and George (1812-1893).  John Muir Wood was named after his father’s first business partner, John Muir.
In 1848-49 John Muir Wood moved to Glasgow and set up a new branch J MUIR WOOD & CO. By 1854-55, WOOD & CO had expanded to 12, 14, 16 and 18 Waterloo Place and four years later in 1858-59 opened another branch in 49 George Street; they closed the Waterloo Place shop in 1860-61. In 1863 George Wood and John Muir Wood retired  and William Montignani (of WOOD & CO), 19 Great Stuart Street, took over the business. WOOD & CO moved to 83 Princes Street in 1910-11.
In early February 1848 a notice appeared in the Glasgow Herald informing that JOHN MUIR WOOD & CO had taken over the business of William Mitchison, music seller, 42 Buchanan Street  and the following year they appeared in the post office directory as pianoforte and music sellers.
Normally when new branches were opened in other Scottish towns they were called WOOD & CO but in Glasgow there were two other companies with similar names, HUGH WOOD & CO, and WOOD & SONS, probably influencing this branch to be called JOHN MUIR WOOD & CO. John Muir Wood retained his partnership with the company until he retired in 1863.
In the 1840s photography was very much in its infancy and he involved himself in this new science becoming a very talented amateur photographer. 
In 1910 the Glasgow office was purchased by PATERSON, SONS & CO. 
The first mention of the firm in Aberdeen is in the 1852-53 directory where they are listed as ‘WOOD & CO, London Pianoforte and Music Saloon, 187 Union Street’ but in an advertisement at the rear the address is given as 189 Union Street. Robert R Stephen is described as ‘of WOOD & CO’ and he may have been the manager.
WOOD & CO moved to 211-213 Union Street in 1853-54 and again the advertisement at the rear of the directory has 189 Union Street. The 1855-56 directory lists Francis H Lakin as ‘of WOOD & CO’ and an advertisement in 1856-57 confirms WOOD & CO had branches in ‘18 Waterloo Place, Edinburgh and 42 Buchannan (sic) Street, Glasgow’. The following year George Young, pianoforte tuner living at 3 St Mary’s Place, is shown to be an employee of WOOD & CO. The Aberdeen office published four books of Scottish song and dance music in about 1858. 
Things were quite peaceful in the Aberdeen branch of WOOD & CO for nearly 10 years, but that all changed in 1867-68 when the firm disappeared from the directory and one of their employees, Francis H Lakin, (successor to WOOD AND CO) opened a shop in 191 Union Street – his home address was 49 Victoria Street. Alex Watson (pianoforte and music saloon) took over WOOD & CO’s old address of 213 Union Street.
An advertisement  appeared in August 1869 showing SELBY WOOD & CO had been formed and had taken over 191 Union Street; Lakin dropped out of the directory. In 1877-78 James Wood opened a shop at 216 Union Street but it is not known if he had been part of SELBY, WOOD & CO; this turned out to be a short-lived venture for in November of that year the firm went bankrupt  and at the same time disappeared from the directory.
SELBY, WOOD & CO
The first known reference to William Selby is in the advertisement for SELBY, WOOD & CO referred to above. He appeared in the 1870-71 directory and was living at 29 Victoria Street West, but in 1872-73 dropped out and it is not known what became of him. In March 1871 William Morrison left SELBY, WOOD & CO to take up a position with John Irvine, pianoforte and music sellers  and eighteen months later, in September 1872, they employed George Sydney Smith from London who was described as ‘…a first-class organ and pianoforte tuner’.
At the same time G S MacKay left their employment ‘…and is no longer authorised to solicit orders in their name, or to transact any business on their account’. 
Smith’s tenure with SELBY, WOOD & CO was short lived, for in January the following year he was ‘Late with Selby, Wood & Co, Aberdeen’ and was now working for himself. 
Since Selby, Morrison, MacKay and Smith left within such a short space of time this suggests there may have been problems within the company. The vacancy created by Selby’s departure appears to have been filled by William Adlington, 66 Bon-Accord Street, for he appeared in the 1872-73 directory and was working for SELBY WOOD & CO. John Adlington, professor of music, was also living at the same address and was a pianoforte and singing teacher with SELBY WOOD & CO.  William Adlington died in London in October 1921. 
The 1887-88 directory listed Henry Anderson, 46 Grove Street, as the manager, but in 1889-90 he left and George Beddie, 49 Grove Street, assumed that position. SELBY, WOOD & CO, still at 191 Union Street, kept operating until June 1890 when the partnership dissolved and they merged with MARR & CO to become J MARR, WOOD & CO at 183 Union Street. Beddie was still involved but as assistant manager. 
Entries in the 1890- 91 Aberdeen directory refer to ‘J MARR, WOOD & CO (late Marr & Co and SELBY, WOOD & CO)’ and this indicates that these latter two companies were no longer trading – at least in Aberdeen.
In 1885 SELBY, WOOD & CO, Aberdeen, along with LOGAN & CO, Inverness and WOOD & CO, Edinburgh, published William Ross’s Collection of Pipe Music (No 314) edition 4. 
They also published edition 5 and although dated 1885, it actually came out after the compiler’s death in 1891 or 1900. There is some evidence to suggest the actual date was 1900, but that does not explain why the imprint has SELBY, WOOD & CO – a firm that supposedly closed down 10 years earlier.
We have seen examples of firms being taken over by others and for some years continue trading under their old name and this could be the case here. Another explanation is that they reprinted edition 5 using the plates from edition 4 without amendment.
MARR & CO.
The first available Aberdeen directory available is dated 1824 and has no listing for MARR & CO, but by 1829-30 John Marr, pianoforte maker was at 182 Union Street. Two years later he moved to 17 Queen Street and the following year into 43 Broad Street. Also in 1832-33 John Marr Sen, Cabinet-maker, Jopp’s Court, 40 Broad Street appeared in the directory, and he may be the father of the pianoforte maker.
The 1833-34 directory lists Mrs John Marr, teacher of music at 43 Broad Street (no doubt the wife of John Jnr), and the following year John Sen moved into Henderson’s Court, 46 Broad Street, where he remained until 1838-39 when he disappeared from the directory.
1837-38 saw another move for John Jnr (the pianoforte maker) when he and Mrs John Marr moved into 179 Union Street. This turned out to be a short stay as in the following year they moved again, this time into 115 Union Street. Mrs Marr ceased to be listed in the directory from 1840-41. The 1841 census shows John (pianoforte maker), and Mrs J Marr were both aged 50 and living at 14 Upper Kingsgate. There was also Margaret Marr (spinster) aged 20; James Marr (apprentice piano maker) aged 20, and John aged 3 living at the same address.
On the move again in 1846-47 Marr’s business shifted to 218 Union Street and the following year he was living above his saloon. In 1848-49 John Marr was a Director of the Friendly Insurance Society of Aberdeen and then in 1849-50 was appointed ‘music seller to the Queen’.
From 1850 until 1867-68 little changed in relation to MARR & CO until James Marr, pianoforte maker and tuner, was listed at Lobban’s Court, 29 Castle Street, and 26 Justice Street. An advertisement at the rear of the directory comments that he ‘Begs to intimate to his numerous Customers and the Public in general, his removal to Lobban’s Court, 29 Castle Street and 26 Justice Street…’ and this to implies that he had already been in business, probably the son of John Marr, and for one reason or another had gone out on his own. In the following year he moved his workshop to 3 Castle Terrace and in 1869-70 James is listed in the Street Directory only.
In 1870-71 Robert Johnston and G S MacKay are listed as ‘of MARR & CO’ and John Marr moved out of 218 Union Street (although the business remained there) to Cliff House, Pitfodels. In 1877-78 John Marr is still at Cliff House but adds 32 Victoria St West to his addresses.
Since his move to Cliff House, John Marr’s entry in the directories states he was ‘of MARR & CO’ but in 1876-77 that comment dropped out as he had sold his business to SELBY, WOOD & CO in June 1875.  Although owned by this new company MARR & CO still traded under their name until 1890-91.
In 1877-78 James Marr dropped out of the directory but was relisted two years later in 1878-79 as J MARR JUN & CO, 5 St Catherine’s Wynd, workshop at Lobban’s Court, 29 Castle Street and Marr’s home address, 5 Nethergatekirk. To complicate matters even more, there is another James Marr, Pianoforte tuner, listed at 58 Castle Street.
The original James Marr may have added ‘Jun’ to differentiate his firm from that of the new James Marr. The exact relationship between these two firms is not known. The original MARR & CO is still at 218 Union Street but now has the title ‘ROYAL MUSIC SALOON’.
David Thomas (MARR AND CO) of 2 Crimon Place is identified for the first time in 1878-79 but by 1884-85 he was working for himself at 22 Union Place. The 1881-82 directory identifies two new people in the music selling business; William Adlington of Ringwood Cottage, Cults is working for SELBY WOOD & CO and another William Adlington of 31 Albyn Place was at MARR AND CO.
John Marr disappeared from the 1882-83 directory but his wife, Mrs J Marr, remained in Cliff House and 32 Victoria Street until 1887-88. In 1883-84 James L Smith, 2 Calton Terrace is with MARR AND CO.
For some years James Marr occupied the premises at 14 Schoolhill, but in 1886-87 he moved into 5 Northfield Place and the following year James Marr Jun is listed at 14A Schoolhill. A bookbinder, William Marr is also at 5 Northfield Place. These addresses suggest there may be a link between James Marr and James Marr Jnr. The 1889 Inverness County Directory has an advertisement for MARR AND CO at 27 Bridge Street.
Huge changes occurred in 1891-92 as MARR AND CO were no longer listed but had amalgamated with SELBY, WOOD & CO to form J MARR, WOOD & CO. This new firm is listed as ‘pianoforte and musicsellers to the Queen and HRH the Prince of Wales’ and are at 183 Union Street, with the piano factory at Union Wynd. James Marr Snr and Jun are still listed with no changes to their details. J Leslie Smith has stayed with J MARR, WOOD & CO and George Beddie, 49 Stanley Street, joined them.
J MARR, WOOD & CO
In the 1889-90 directory SELBY WOOD & CO were listed at 191 Union Street and George Beddie was the manager. The following year J MARR, WOOD & CO, ROYAL MUSIC SALOONS, 183 Union Street, were shown as ‘Late MARR & CO and SELBY WOOD & CO’. The 1891-92 directory shows George Beddie is now living in 31 Bon-Accord Street and J Leslie Smith at 96 Union Grove.
The telephone had only been around for about 10 years by the 1890s and exchanges were being set up in the United Kingdom. Many businesses and private homes took to it and in 1892-93 J MARR, WOOD & CO had a phone number: 496. C B Miller, 7 Rose Place, was with J MARR, WOOD & CO in 1892-93, as was John Gray, 31 Claremont Place, who had been listed in previous years with no company affiliations. In 1896-97 there is a listing for David Thomson, comedian (c/o J MARR, WOOD & CO).
By 1902-03 the Aberdeen branch of J MARR, WOOD & CO also had the name ‘pianoforte and music sellers to H.M the King’. Leslie J Smith was the director and manager, John Gillespie, 14 Broomhill Road, was the foreman piano maker, George F Davie, 24 Huntly Street, was a piano tuner and Frank H Homan, 60 Union Grove, a music seller. In 1905-06 William Smith, 32 Thistle Street, was listed as part of J MARR, WOOD & CO. Leslie J Smith had his own business in 1908-09.
J MARR, WOOD & CO were a public company and in early July 1915 the Aberdeen office published a report stating they were going to keep operating although they had reservations as to what may happen in the future as a result of the war.  At the same time the Inverness branch closed down, and some time in 1916 or 17 J MARR, WOOD & CO merged with LOGAN & CO (INVERNESS) LTD to form LOGAN & J MARR WOOD LTD. 
The difficult times referred to in the 1915 report were already having a negative impact on the industry. In 1923 the Aberdeen offices of J MARR, WOOD & CO and PATERSON, SONS & CO amalgamated  and operated under the name PATERSON, SONS & CO AND J MARR, WOOD & CO for many years.
The earliest Inverness directory available is 1873-74. Then there is a gap to 1899-1900 and the Inverness branch is listed as MARR & CO, Royal Music Saloons, 23 Church Street and James MacWalter was managing partner living at 2 Broadstone Road. The 1902-03 directory shows the branch manager is now J Brydon and MacWalter is still listed as ‘of J MARR, WOOD & CO’.
The manager changed again in 1905-06 (the 1904-05 directory is not available) and is now William L Lawson of 4 Charles Street. Brydon was no longer listed, and James MacWalter had his own business at 35 Bridge Street. The directories from 1912 and subsequent are not available.
The Inverness branch closed down in 1915 and subsequently amalgamated with LOGAN & CO (INVERNESS) LTD to form LOGAN & J MARR WOOD LTD.
LOGAN & CO
David Logan was born in Edinburgh in 1817, and from 1832 served his apprenticeship as a pianoforte maker with Paterson, Sons & Co. After seven years he moved to London and spent six years working for the well-known London piano makers JOHN BRAIDWOOD & SONS.  In the 1841 census he was a pianoforte maker living at Belvoir Terrace, Marshall Bridge Road, Westminster, London and in 1846 married Elizabeth Lennard.
Their first child Ellen was born in 1847, and the following year the family moved to Aberdeen where the rest of their children, Elizabeth, James, David, Mary and Robert were born.  Soon after arriving in Aberdeen, Logan took over a pianoforte-making firm owned by Peter Crane and went into partnership with John Booth and James MacBeth. 
In the 1848-49 directory, ‘David Logan, piano-forte tuner, regulator and dealer, 1481⁄2 George Street’ was listed but there was no John Booth or James MacBeth. However, there was a James MacBeath and later entries show this is the correct spelling of the name. In 1850-51 they moved to 156 George Street, and later were also at 5 Crown Street (warerooms) and 1 Trinity Street (workshop).
The following year, 1851-52, David Logan is listed in the General section as at 75 St Andrew Street, but in the Street Directory is still at 156 George Street, whilst LOGAN & CO were at the address shown the previous year. James MacBeath, pianoforte tuner, 35 Huntly Street, is listed as ‘of J LOGAN & CO’, but there is no J LOGAN & CO listed in the directory and it maybe the ‘J’ is a misprint.
Initially the directories do not make it clear that David Logan was part of LOGAN & CO, but that link grows stronger in the 1852-53 directory when both he and LOGAN & CO are described as ‘from JOHN BRAIDWOOD & SONS’. His address has changed to 73 St Andrew Street and LOGAN & CO has moved its workshop to Windmillbrae.
The directory of 1853-54 clarifies the situation even further where David is described as ‘of LOGAN & CO’. John Booth, 5 Mounthooly, and James MacBeath, Holburn Street, who were previously listed in the directories without any company affiliations, are now also ‘of LOGAN & CO’.
The 1855-56 directory has LOGAN & CO listed at 130 Union Street with the workshop still at Windmillbrae and in 1859-60 the LOGAN & CO workshops are at Spring Garden Factory. Another LOGAN & CO employee, William D M Steven, is identified in 1861-62 as a pianoforte tuner and his home address is Newbridge, Hardgate.
In 1865-66 LOGAN & CO are now at 182 Union Street but the workshop is still at Spring Garden. In an advertisement at the end of the directory the address is given as 181B Union Street. The following year in 1866-67 David Logan moved to Ferryhill and William Sowdan is a pianoforte tuner working for the company.
LOGAN & CO moved to 28 Diamond Street in 1868-69. In an advertisement at the end of the directory this move occurred 4th June, and although the year is not stated this would have been 1867. George Neil, pianoforte maker (LOGAN & CO), 30 Blackfriars Street appeared in the directory of 1869-70 and LOGAN & CO workshops were now at Union Wynd. John Booth’s partnership in the company was dissolved 1872 by mutual consent and he took over the tools and seasoned materials belonging to LOGAN & CO and formed the new firm JOHN BOOTH & SONS at 7 Union Wynd. 
Two of David Logan sons, James (aged 20, piano tuner) and David (aged 18, music seller), appeared in the 1871 census, living at their parent’s address, 21 Ferryhill, but never appeared by name in the Aberdeen directories. In about 1864 they entered the business, eventually became partners, and in 1873 opened the Inverness branch.  This fits perfectly with the 1873-74 Aberdeen and Inverness directories where they were listed at 30 Church Street.
LOGAN & CO had little change over the next seven years but in 1880-81 they moved to 2A Union Street and were still there in January 1888;  the Inverness address is now 57 and 59 Church Street. The 1881 census shows James (aged 31), and David (aged 29) were living in Inverness and running the firm. James married Margaret Young and had nine children, James, David, Margaret, Mary, Elizabeth, Alice, Helen (Nellie), Harry and Florence.  His brother David married Kate McLernan of Inverness  but there is no mention of children in the 1901 census or in his obituary.
After an uneventful decade the Aberdeen branch of LOGAN & CO disappeared from the 1889-90 directory, David Logan Snr moved out of 35 Ferryhill into 117 Bon Accord Street and in the General Directory he is called ‘late music seller’ possibly indicating he had retired. The 1891 census has David Logan, aged 74, living at 117 Bon Accord Street.
In 1891-92 LOGAN & CO are re-listed at 251 Union Street and David Lawrie, 168 Crown Street is with the company. In 1893-94 David Logan disappeared completely from the directory and we find he had moved to Inverness and was living at his son James’ house where he died in early September 1898.  In September 1892 David’s wife Elizabeth had died aged 72. 
In 1898 LOGAN & CO, Aberdeen, published a single sheet of music with two bagpipe tunes arranged for the piano.  The two tunes were The Cock o’ the North and 92nd Gordon Highlanders’ Quickstep.
The Aberdeen branch of LOGAN & CO was sold to Robert Brown in 1900 and the name changed to LOGAN’S MUSIC SALOON, 251 Union Street. The transaction was certainly completed by 20 April of that year  as LOGAN’S MUSIC SALOON advertised to employ a message boy and they also appeared in the 1900-01 directory.
The Inverness branch of LOGAN & CO became the head office and soon after 1900 the Aberdeen branch was removed from the imprints of their published books. The first edition of Logan’s Tutor (No 332) published in late 1899 and the second printing from mid-1900 both have Aberdeen in the imprint.
Another book, Logan’s Collection of Highland Bagpipe Music Book 1 (No 327) published in 1901, 1902 or early 1903, does not have Aberdeen. LOGAN & CO had branches in Elgin and Nairn prior to 1900 and opened a branch in Dingwall in late 1900, 1901 or 1902 as it appears in the imprint of Book 1 of their Collection. This book could not have been published in 1900 or it would have appeared in W L Manson’s The Highland Bagpipe that was published after 27 April 1901 (the date in the Preface) and before 1 June 1901. 
ELGIN, NAIRN AND DINGWALL
It is not known when the Elgin, Nairn and Dingwall branches opened. An advertisement in the Aberdeen Journal 5 May 1881 lists LOGAN & CO at Aberdeen and Inverness only, but another advertisement in 21 June 1882 includes Aberdeen, Inverness and Elgin but not Nairn. Another in the Aberdeen Evening Express 22 December 1894 includes Nairn. In 1903 the Nairn branch was at 17 High Street and run by George Strachan. Dingwall and Nairn closed down some time after 1917 and before 1921. 
The earliest Inverness directory available is that of 1873-74 and this shows LOGAN & CO, music sellers and pianoforte tuners, 30 Church Street. It also states the home address is No 64 but does not disclose which street.
One of their first publications was a book of popular Gaelic songs called The Inverness Collection in 1879  and was reprinted on a number of occasions; 1882,  1888 (called Inverness Collection of Highland Pibrochs, Laments, Quickstep and Marches)  and 1898.  They also published New Music by composer John Thomson, Glasgow  and Scottish Ballads. 
After the death of Donald MacPhee in 1880 LOGAN & CO acquired the publishing rights to two of his books: A Selection of Music for the Highland Bagpipe (No 317) and A Collection of Piobaireachd (No 320). They reprinted a new edition of A Collection of Piobaireachd in 1885 and in the mid-1890s published an updated version of A Selection of Music for the Highland Bagpipe, which they split into two books called A Complete Tutor for the Highland Bagpipe (No 318) and A Selection of Music for the Highland Bagpipe (No 319).54
In 1899 LOGAN & CO, became more active in publishing bagpipe music. They started with a reprint of A Collection of Ancient Piobaireachd (No 307) by Angus MacKay  and later in the same year compiled and published Logan’s Tutor (No 332). 
The following year they issued a reprint of their Tutor and some time after 1900 Book 1 of Logan’s Collection (No 327) appeared. This latter book did not have Aberdeen in the imprint so cannot have been published in 1900 or earlier. A newspaper advertisement in March 1903 stated ‘Bagpipe music – Just out, Logan’s latest music book, with latest tunes – Hutcheon. Niddry Street’57 but it is not known if that was the first time the advertisement appeared. There are no other known bagpipe music books published by Logan & Co at that time, so it is reasonable to believe this advertisement was for the first edition of Logan’s Collection Book 1.
The 1900 reprint of the Tutor has six tunes with the precautionary note ‘*By permission of Mr David Glen, Edinburgh’ and no other edition has this remark. In May 1900 Henderson’s Tutor for the Bagpipe and Collection of Pipe Music (No 329) was published and Glen believed some tunes Henderson had included breached his copyright.
The case ended up in court in late June 1900  and was abandoned by Glen in early December of that year.  It is believed LOGAN & CO published the second edition of their Tutor whilst the case was sub judice, and once it was abandoned there was no legal requirement to continue the precautionary note.
There are few online Inverness directories prior to 1900, but those from 1899-1900, 1900-01, 1901- 02 and 1902-03 all list LOGAN & CO, pianoforte and music warehouse, 59 Church Street with James and David as the principals. There is also a listing for a pianoforte warehouse at 11 Bank Street. James Logan is living at Planefield House, Planefield Road and David at 3 Lochalsh Terrace, Perceval Road. The directories for 1903-04 and 1904-05 are not available but the ones from 1905-06 and later show David is no longer part of the company.
The reason for this is that LOGAN & CO went into bankruptcy in July 1903  and continued to trade under a trustee until 17 August 1904.  As a result of this action a new company, LOGAN & CO (INVERNESS) LTD, was registered and operating by the last week of October 1904.  After the bankruptcy David was no longer involved, and from 1906 his wife was a music seller at 10 Lombard Street (home address Perceval Road) whilst David was listed at the same home address but not part of her business. He apparently did work there but maybe after the bankruptcy was not permitted to be involved in the management of any business.
The National Archives of Scotland holds records relating to the bankruptcy and they show LOGAN & CO did not publish any music during that time. Soon after the emergence of LOGAN & CO (INVERNESS) LTD they resumed publishing bagpipe music and between 1905 and 1911 Books 2-7 of their Collection appeared. They also revised their Tutor some time after 1904 and a number of reprints of all books appeared prior to 1916.
Logan’s Collection Book 2 first appeared in 1905 but no other details of its publication are known. The next three books appeared in quick succession, and each was reviewed in local newspapers where Pipe-Major John MacDonald, 1st V.B Queen’s Own Highlanders was credited as the editor of the series. Book 3 was reviewed in August 1906;  Book 4 six months later in February 1907  and Book 5 in July 1907. 
The following year, the first edition of Book 6 was published and a newspaper review  stated it ‘…was sold out previous to publication, but a second edition will be in the printer’s hands shortly.’ The reviewer also commented that some of the tune titles had been misspelt (one of them Highland Whiskey) and remarked ‘…while we may keep an ‘e’ on whisky, we do not in Scotland keep an ‘e’ in it’! The publisher did not heed these comments and all errors continued throughout later editions.
The publication date of Book 7 has not yet been established and although it contains a tune dated 1909 it could have appeared as late as 1911. No review of this book has been located at this time.
Although John MacDonald was described as of the ‘1st V.B. Queen’s Own Highlanders’, he is the same man who is now known as John MacDonald of Inverness. For many years it was believed that a piper had to have assisted LOGAN & CO with the preparation of this collection, but no one knew who it was.
The three newspaper reviews leave little doubt John MacDonald was the man, but none of the books acknowledge him as the editor. There is another link to John MacDonald in this series of books. and that is the stylised picture of a piper on the front cover. A photograph of John MacDonald from the early 20th century has a remarkable resemblance to this picture. Although the uniform is not the same it is thought the publishers would have avoided depicting any particular regiment. 
It is also tempting to believe he may have assisted with the preparation of Logan’s Tutor, but further research will be required to confirm this.
In July 1915, J MARR WOOD LTD Inverness branch closed down and all the stock sent to the Aberdeen branch to be sold.  At some time in 1916 or 1917 LOGAN & CO (INVERNESS) LTD amalgamated with J MARR WOOD & CO (Inverness) to form LOGAN & J MARR WOOD LTD, but the precise date is not known. 
Branches of J MARR WOOD & CO in other towns and cities continued trading under their original name, although they may have merged with other firms. In the National Archives of Scotland there is a file on LOGAN & J MARR WOOD LTD  and this may contain information about the merger.
By 1916 World War One was at its height and the downturn in business appears to have affected a number of firms. This may have been the reason behind the LOGAN & CO merger with J MARR WOOD LTD in 1916 or 1917. The new firm was called LOGAN & J MARR WOOD LTD.
Under their new name they continued publishing bagpipe music, as there are numerous books with the imprint ‘LOGAN & J MARR WOOD LTD Inverness. Also at Elgin, Nairn and Dingwall’. Kelly’s (Slater’s) Directory of the Scottish Counties dated October 1921 lists LOGAN & J MARR WOOD LTD at Inverness and Elgin but not Nairn or Dingwall. There are some books of bagpipe music published by them that do not list Nairn and Dingwall in the imprints, but instead have ‘Also at Elgin’. This confirms the closure of the Nairn and Dingwall offices, but the exact dates are not known.
LOGAN & J MARR WOOD LTD closed down in mid-to-late 1923. They were listed in the telephone directory in February 1923, also ran an advertisement the same month  and were listed in the Inverness post office directory in 1923-24. They were not listed in the telephone directory of 1924 or the post office directory of 1924- 25. This leaves little doubt that the firm closed sometime after April 1923 and before the end of that year. LOGAN & CO and J MARR WOOD & CO continued to trade as separate companies in other towns. PATERSON’S PUBLICATIONS LTD acquired the publishing rights to their books in 1925.
From 1904, when LOGAN & CO (INVERNESS) LTD commenced trading they were fully occupied compiling and publishing Books 2-7 of their Collection, they also set about revising and reprinting their Tutor. Despite the war there was also a demand for their books, and they reprinted a number of new editions. During these busy times they appear to have allowed a number of editions to be published by other firms.
Logan’s Collection Book 4 – ROBERT G LAWRIE, 44 and 63 John Street, Glasgow.
ROBERT G LAWRIE were at both 44 and 63 John Street in 190672 and remained there until 1909-10. LOGAN & CO (INVERNESS) LTD published the first edition of Book 4 in 1906 and then followed with Books 5, 6 and 7 between 1907 and 1909. A ‘New and Revised’ edition of Logan’s Tutor (No 332) was being prepared for publication around the same time and it is possible ROBERT G LAWRIE was asked in 1907-09 to publish the new edition of Book 4 to relieve some of the pressure.
Logan’s Collection Book 7 – ROBERT G LAWRIE, 60 Renfield Street and 63 John Street, Glasgow.
ROBERT G LAWRIE moved to 60 Renfield and 63 John Street in about 1910 and remained there until about 1915.  In 1916 or 1917 LOGAN & CO (INVERNESS) LTD amalgamated with J MARR WOOD & CO to form LOGAN & J MARR WOOD LTD, and no doubt the year before this amalgamation would have been fraught with difficulties. As ROBERT G LAWRIE come to the rescue a few years earlier, it seems reasonable to assume they could have published Book 7 under similar circumstances.
Logan’s Collection Books 2 and 6 – ROBERT G LAWRIE, 62 Renfield Street.
ROBERT G LAWRIE was at 62 Renfield Street between 1923 and 1930  and during that time published Logan’s Collection Books 2 and 6. In 1925, PATERSON’S PUBLICATIONS LTD acquired the publishing rights from LOGAN & J MARR WOOD LTD and began publishing Logan’s books. Maybe ROBERT G LAWRIE helped out in 1923 after LOGAN & J MARR WOOD LTD and before PATERSON’S PUBLICATIONS LTD obtained the publishing rights in 1925.
Logan’s Collection BOOK 4 – PATERSON, SONS & CO, 152 Buchanan Street, Glasgow, 27 George Street, Edinburgh and 72 Wells Street, London.
PATERSON, SONS & CO published this undated edition of Book 4 and research has shown  it could have been published any time between c1916 and 1924. It has the address 72 Wells Street, London, in the imprint and this was the office of their London agents and last used c1924.
In 1925 the firm changed its name to PATERSON’S PUBLICATIONS LTD and the London agents were Oxford University Press, 95 Wimpole Street. It is possible PATERSON, SONS & CO published Book 4 at the time of the 1916/17 amalgamation but could also have published it in 1923/24 after LOGAN & J MARR WOOD LTD ceased trading.
Logan’s Collection Book 2 – PETER HENDERSON, 24 Renfrew Street, Glasgow.
This book is in the College of Piping museum in Glasgow. A search of the Glasgow post office directories shows Peter Henderson moved into Renfrew Street in 1906 or 1907 and remained there for many years. This book could have been published any time between 1907 (when they first moved to 24 Renfrew Street) and 1916 (when the price changed to two shillings).
Logan’s Collection Book 7 (two editions) – W & M MACLEOD, 345-347 Argyle Street and 92 York Street, Glasgow.
These two books are in the College of Piping Museum in Glasgow. A search of the Glasgow post office directories shows that W & M MacLeod moved into 345 Argyle Street in 1900 or 1901. They were described as ‘Jewellers, Opticians, Musical Instruments, Antiques and General Merchants’ and were still in the 1911-12 directory. They were not listed in the telephone directory. These books could have been published any time between 1909 (when the first edition was published) and 1916 (when the price changed to two shillings).
David Logan died in July 1925  and his wife Kate in May 1936. Kate was a pianist and leader of an orchestra that played for many balls and other civic occasions. She was also a member of the Old High Church Choir & Women’s Guild, and on 4 April 1930 the members made a presentation in recognition of her services to the choir and the church over many years. 
Then in 21 September 1934 The Mackintosh of Mackintosh presented her with an award in recognition of 40 years playing for balls at the Northern Meeting. It is evident she and her orchestra were in constant demand and not just in Scotland, for an article in the Inverness Courier 14 February 1933 shows she had been engaged to play for a Highland Ball at the Dorchester Hotel in London under the patronage of the Duke of York. 
Dating books published by Logan & Co
It is most difficult to determine when LOGAN & CO published any of their music books as they rarely dated them. The imprint is often the best method of defining during which era a book was published, but if the cover is missing (which it frequently is) it is almost impossible to be more precise. However, when the cover is still attached further information can be gleaned.
From the early 1900s the rear cover of many books had a price list with various bagpipe music books available for purchase. As new books appeared they were included in this list making it relatively easy to compare them all and determine when the list was published. Occasionally the lists were dated, and this makes it easy. The imprint always indicates a general time frame (sometimes up to ten years) during which a book was published, but the price list often narrows the possible date of publication to within a year or two.
The following imprints are from books published by LOGAN & CO and their successors.
John MacDonald of Inverness
Image from Logan’s Collection
The price list does not include Logan’s Collection (No 327) (published 1901/2) or Henderson’s Tutor (No 325), Edition 2 (published 1900), which adds to the evidence this book came out in 1900 or earlier.
The following is the list of books added to the price lists and the publication dates:
Rev 00 (19 February 2015)
This is the initial edition. As fresh information comes to light the edition number will change and a brief description of those changes will be added.
© Geoff Hore 2015
Copyright © 2022 New Zealand Piping Centre - All Rights Reserved.